VOTING HAS FINISHED – we’ll let you know the results as soon as they’re in.
Bags of Help
The nature reserve at Swanmore Meadows, Ryde, is one of the nominated projects for the Isle of Wight! Swanmore Meadows is managed by Gift to Nature with ongoing support from Ryde Town Council. It’s a beautiful place, but because there are not many paths the reserve is quite hard to get around and we still have a lot of work to do.
How to vote
It’s easy – vote for Swanmore Meadows in your local Tesco from 31 October 2016 to 13 November. There’s not an online vote, so just pop along to Tesco and vote!
Tesco customers vote over two weekends in their store for their favourite shortlisted local project. Grants are then awarded as follows:
- 1st place in Tesco customer vote: £12,000 grant
- 2nd place in Tesco customer vote: £10,000 grant
- 3rd place in Tesco customer vote: £8,000 grant
What we want to do at Swanmore Meadows
We’re already working on access to Swanmore Meadows from Elmfield and Swanmore but we also want people from Oakfield and St Johns to enjoy this beautiful site. At the moment there is only one entry point which is practical for people from this area (by the level crossing), and it is incredibly muddy from Autumn to Spring, and impassable in the wettest months.
So we want to clear a new route and put a wide, safe boardwalk from the entrance into the Meadow. It will be wide enough for buggies and wheelchairs and easy to follow. We will put a directional sign at the entrance too. This will be especially useful for dog walkers, making a nice circular route that will avoid getting your dog too muddy.
What we have already done at Swanmore Meadows
We’ve only been managing it since February this year but we’ve already done a lot.
- Created a new path from Weeks Road to the pond (supported by Ryde Town Council)
- Cut back invading bushes to make a bigger area to walk safely and allow light to the grassy meadows and flowers (with help from IW Green Gym and the Police cadets, plus support from The Peoples Postcode Trust)
- Picked a fair bit of litter!
- Improved the entrance from Quarry Road to encourage people to walk down from the town onto the reserve
Vote to support Swanmore Meadows in store at Tesco stores across the Isle of Wight!